TIP SHEET #10: How to Make a ‘Plan’ Together
Plan a time to brainstorm ideas about school. Don’t just spring this plan idea on your teen but make a date to talk when you’re both relaxed. Ask your teen the questions below and write down her answers together. Sit at the kitchen or dining room table where you’re both comfortable and can have a business-like conversation. Try to keep emotion out of it, and look for behaviors to start up or eliminate in order to make high school more successful.
- What do you think are reasonable grades to earn at the quarter? At the semester?
- What time of day or evening is your best and most productive time?
- What time do you want to be finished with everything at night?
- Do you have all the school supplies that you need?
- What can I do to support you in school, as your mom/dad?
- Do you (the student) need to talk with the teacher? If so, do it tomorrow and bring back suggestions for improvement to me tomorrow afternoon so we can work on it together.
Click here to read/print a PDF file version of this post.